¿Why is it better to study in Spain?
It is worth coming to Spain not only to relax on the beaches of the Costa Brava, but to visit the works of Antonio Gaudí and see the masterpieces of Goya and Velázquez. Here you can get a European education at small Western prices.
Structure of primary and secondary education in Spain
Education in Spanish schools is organized as follows: children enter primary school at the age of 6 and attend primary school. At the age of 12, they are transferred to secondary school, where they study for four years.
Types of schools in Spain
- Public schools (public schools) The advantage is free (except for textbooks and lower administrative fees).
- Semi-public schools (concerted schools). It is financed in part by the Catholic Church or by local authorities.
- Private schools in Spain (private schools). Firstly, these are international private schools in Spain. The most popular schools among Russians and other foreign citizens are the English or American schools in Spain.
- Sports schools are hosted in Spain. These are professional football and tennis schools. This is an interesting option for young athletes.
The virtues of learning in Spain
- International Diploma. Diplomas from Spanish universities are recognized worldwide. The legalisation procedure for the Hague Convention countries is clear and simple.
- Learn languages. Spanish is the third most spoken language in the world. It is also one of the six official languages of the United Nations, indicating its importance in international communication.
- Attitude to formalities. The priority is the student’s comfort and personal development, not their academic achievements. This rule is followed by most educational institutions in Spain, starting at the primary level. Formalities such as deadlines, rigid criteria and grades are not the key. During classes, students are free to express their opinions, and teachers are always open to friendship.
- Prices. Spain compares favourably with many countries with low prices for rent, food and transport. Students usually rent an apartment together, so you will pay approximately $289 for the room. The restaurant bill will be 12-35 USD. Students are entitled to discounts at museums, cafes and shops, as well as a discounted transportation fee.
- Climate and Nature. The weather in Spain almost all year round is very comfortable, even in winter the temperature rarely falls below +15C. Students use this and often prefer parks to congested libraries.
Language of education
In Spanish schools, Spanish is the main language of instruction and in foreign schools the language of instruction. In regions with the second official language in public schools, most subjects are taught in the second official language.
Parastatal and private schools in Spain wear school uniforms. In other stages the official form appears: pullovers, skirts for girls shoes, pants and shoes for children.
The school day in Spanish schools starts around 9 a.m., classes last 1.5 hours with a short break, around 10:30 - a second breakfast, at 12:30 lunch. After lunch until 15:00 walk outdoors or additional classes, from 15:00-16:30 (17:00) lessons. From 17:00 to 18:00 there are clubs and additional classes.
Most private schools have a school bus service that transports students to nearby towns and districts. The cost of this service per month is 100 euros per month.
It depends on the school and the stage of education. The registration fee must be paid for admission to a private school: from 300 to 3,000 euros. Education costs between 6,000 and 24,000 euros per year on average without accommodation. The most expensive are American schools, especially high schools. Additional costs are paid for the child’s meals, travel and accommodation.
Children go to school from the age of 3 years. From the age of 3 to the age of 6 that they study in the nursery school, this stage is called «infantile». In the «primary» school children study 6 years from 6 to 12 years, then go to the «secondary» school, where they study until 16 years of age, and if they want to continue studying in the university, they have to finish the school «bachelor», where they study 2 years from 16 to 18 years old.
Here is a list of schools by region with contacts that will help you quickly find the interesting variant.
If you have any questions, or need help finding a place to study, rent or buy a house, write down and collect documents for Residence in Spain, please call Albamargroup +34633144103 or ask questions in the official e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org.